The Building and Zoning Department is responsible for all building permits, including, roofing and siding, wood stoves, LP gas permits, demolition permits, pools, electrical, plumbing, heating and mechanical, chimneys, replacement doors and windows, new furnaces and sheds.
The Zoning Department is responsible for all variance applications, special exceptions, home based businesses, subdivisions, re-subdivisions, signs, driveway permits and all inland/wetlands applications.
AN ORDINANCE ESTABLISHING FEES FOR THE PROCESSING OF APPLICATIONS BY THE BARKHAMSTED BUILDING DEPARTMENT
Be it ordained, by the Town of Barkhamsted, that the following schedule of fees shall be established for application before the Barkhamsted Building
Department, pursuant to Connecticut general states 8-1c:
1. Residential demolition - $15.00 Other demolition - $10.00 per thousand cost
2. Tent - $25.00
3. Roofing - $10.00 per thousand (roof valued at $100 per square), minimum of $20.00
4. Mechanical permit (electrical, plumbing, mechanical) - $10.00 per thousand cost, minimum of $20.00
5. Certificate of occupancy - $20.00
6. Building permit - $10.00 per thousand value, minimum of $20.00. Value of new construction to be determined by table shown below.
1. Residential each floor - $100.00 per square foot
2. Accessory buildings (sheds; etc.) - $35.00 per square foot
3. Garages - $50.00 per square foot
4. Decks - $25.00 per square foot
5. Open porch - $35.00 per square foot
6. Screened porch - $40.00 per square foot
7. Assembly - $188.00 per square foot
8. Business - $145.00 per square foot
9. Mercantile - $105.00 per square foot
10. Factory/Industrial - $85.00 per square foot
11. Institutional - $250.00 per square foot
12. High Hazard - $100.00 per square foot
13. Pools, fencing, remodeling, siding, alterations by actual value, determined by building official
14. Fireplaces - 1 story - $6000.00, 2 story - $7500.00, additional openings - $800.00
15. Mechanical permits (new construction)
a. Electrical - $6.00 per square foot living area
b. Heating - $8.00 per square foot living area
c. Electric heat - $4.00 per square foot living area
d. Air conditioning - $6.00 per square foot living area
e. Plumbing - $1000.00 per extra fixture (above three fixtures)
16. Sign Permit: $25.00
“After the fact” permit fee – Effective July 1, 2007, any individual, homeowner, or contractor commencing work without first obtaining an approved building permit will be subject to a fine of double the standard permit fee. Fines will be imposed at the discretion of the Town Building Official, and the Building Official will have the option of determining the project cost.
This ordinance shall supersede any other schedule of fees otherwise adopted by the Building Department, or provided for by statute for these building applications.